Saturday, April 13, 2013

Week 42 - Matthew 18:21-22

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me?  Up to seven times?"

Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times but seventy-seven times."

NIV, Life Application Study Bible Footnotes:

The rabbis taught that people should forgive those who offend them -- but only three times.  Peter, trying to be especially generous, asked Jesus if seven (the "perfect" number) was enough times to forgive someone.  But Jesus answered, "Seventy-seven times," meaning that we shouldn't even keep track of how many times we forgive someone.  We should always forgive those who are truly repentant, no matter how many times they ask.

The following scriptures are cross-references I found interesting:

Matthew 6:14 says, "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

That's pretty good motivation for forgiveness!

AND

Luke 17:4 says, "If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you and says, 'I repent,' forgive him."

I didn't remember repentance being tied to forgiveness in this way although I know it's a vital part of restoration.


No comments:

Post a Comment