Monday, February 24, 2014

Day 239 - Who Am I

Daily Reading:  1 Chronicles 17-19

Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said:
Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?  And as if this were not enough in your sight, O God, you have spoken about the future of the house of your servant.  You have looked on me as though I were the most exalted of men, O Lord God.  17:16-20

Footnote:  God told David that Solomon would be given the honor of building the temple.  David responded with deep humility, not resentment.  This king who had conquered his enemies and was loved by his people said, "Who am I...that you have brought me this far?"  David recognized that God was the true king.  God has done just as much for us, and he plans to do even more!  Like David, we should humble ourselves and give glory to God, saying, "There is no one like you, O Lord."  When God chooses someone else to implement your ideas, will you respond with such humility?

He put garrisons in Edom, and all the Edomites became subject to David.  The Lord gave David victory everywhere he went. 18:13

Footnote:  The list of battles in this chapter shows how God gave victory after victory.  Unbelieving people think that victory comes from their own skill plus a little luck.  Just as David acknowledged God's role in his success, so should we.  Don't take credit for the work God does.



Keep reading -- 126 days left!

All footnotes taken from the Life Application Study Bible, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment