Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day 290 - My Yoke is Easy and My Burden Light

Daily Reading:  Matthew 8-11

Matthew 8-11


He called the 12 disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.  10:1

Footnote:  Jesus called his 12 disciples.  He didn't draft them, force them or ask them to volunteer; he chose them to serve him in a special way.  Christ calls us today.  He doesn't twist our arms and make us do something we don't want to do.  We can choose to join him or remain  behind.  When Christ calls you to follow him, how do you respond?

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.  10:42

Footnote:  How much we love God can be measured by how well we treat others.  Jesus' example of giving a cup of cold water to a thirsty child is a good model of unselfish service.  A child usually can't or won't return a favor.  God notices every good deed we do or don't do as if he were the one receiving it.  Is there something unselfish you can do for someone else today?  Although no one else may see you, God will notice.

Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  11:28-30

Footnote:  A yoke is a heavy wooden harness that fits over the shoulders of an ox or oxen.  It is attached to a piece of equipment the oxen are to pull.  A person may be carrying heavy burdens of
1.  sin
2.  excessive demands of religious leaders
3.  oppression and persecution
4.  weariness in the search for God.

Jesus frees people from all these burdens.  The rest that Jesus promises is love, healing, and peace with God, not the end of all labor.  A relationship with God changes meaningless, wearisome toil into spiritual productivity and purpose.


Keep reading -- 75 days left!

All footnotes taken from the Life Application Study Bible, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment