Saturday, December 22, 2012

Week 26 - Matthew 5:44

But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you....  Matthew 5:44

Life Application Study Bible, NIV:

Jesus says we are to love our enemies.  If you love your enemies and treat them well, you will truly show that Jesus is Lord of your life.  This is possible only for those who give themselves fully to God, because only he can deliver people from natural selfishness.  We must trust the Holy Spirit to help us show love to those for whom we may not feel love.

What a perfect time to demonstrate the Lord's love to people around you....friends and enemies alike!  Have you noticed how busy the stores are?  How busy the people are?  It's amazing what a smile and kind words can do.  I've noticed that it seems to soften most people you come in contact with.  Give it a try!


Mary has been on my mind this season.  These are some of my very unorganized thoughts.........

-    Mary was definitely "in God's will."  Don't we all long to be in that place?  Yet she was not without pain, heartache, suffering, trials, etc.

-    Mary was pretty "ordinary" but she opened herself up to the "extraordinary" when she made herself available to God and His plans.

-    Mary must have had to deal with quite a bit of fear from the very beginning.  What would Joseph think?  Her parents?  Her people?

-    Mary had to trust God for everything!  I just can't imagine getting on a donkey and riding 100 (or whatever it was) miles to Bethlehem while expecting.  Was she tired?  Hungry?  Cold?  Scared?  Did she wonder if she would make it before Jesus was born?  Again, she had to trust God for perfect timing.

-    Mary might have felt forgotten?  No room in the inn?!  Not even a place to give birth other than a stable?

-    My thoughts bring me back to God's will.  Every difficulty, every tear, every struggle had a purpose.

I find myself wishing I knew more about Mary but God has given us all we need to know in scripture.  Mary was a willing vessel, an obedient servant for the glory of God!  I pray that I might be the same.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment