Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Week 51 - John 21:15-17

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"

"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"

He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" 

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?"  He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep."

Life Application Study Bible, NIV, footnote:

In this beach scene, Jesus led Peter through an experience that would remove the cloud of his denial.  Peter had disowned Jesus three times.  Three times Jesus asked Peter if he loved him.  When Peter answered yes, Jesus told him to feed his sheep.  It is one thing to say you love Jesus, but the real test is willingness to serve him.  Peter had repented, and here Jesus was asking him to commit his life.  Peter's life changed when he finally realized who Jesus was.  His occupation changed from fisherman to evangelist; his identity changed from impetuous to "rock;" and his relationship to Jesus changed -- he was forgiven, and he finally understood the significance of Jesus' words about his death and resurrection.

Commit your life to Jesus and serve Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment