Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Day 114 & 115 - Medicine for the Soul

Daily Reading:  Psalm 40-42 & Psalm 43-45

I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the Lord.

Blessed is the man
who makes the Lord his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.
Psalm 40:1-4

Footnote:

Waiting for God to help us is not easy, but David received four benefits from waiting:  God 1. lifted him out of his despair, 2. set his feet on a rock, 3. gave him a firm place to stand, and 4. put a new song of praise in his mouth.  Often blessings cannot be received unless we go through the trial of waiting.


Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.
Psalm 42:5-6

Footnote:

Depression is one of the most common emotional ailments.  One antidote for depression is to meditate on the record of God's goodness to his people.  This will take your mind off the present situation and give hope that it will improve.  It will focus your thoughts on God's ability to help you rather than on your inability to help yourself.  When you feel depressed, take advantage of this psalm's antidepressant.  Read the Bible's accounts of God's goodness, and meditate on them.


Psalm 43:3,4
Send forth your light and your truth,
let them guide me;
let them bring me to your holy mountain,
to the place where you dwell.
Then will I go to the altar of God,
to God, my joy and my delight
I will praise you with the harp,
O God, my God.
Footnote:
The psalmist asked God to send his light and truth to guide him to the holy mountain, the temple, where he would meet God.  God's truth provides the right path to follow, and God's light provides the clear vision to follow it.  If you feel surrounded by darkness and uncertainty, follow God's light and truth.  He will guide you.
Psalm 44:23-26
Awake, O Lord! Why do you sleep?
Rouse yourself!  Do not reject us forever.
Why do you hide your face
and forget our misery and oppression?
We are brought down to the dust;
our bodies cling to the ground.
Rise up and help us;
redeem us because of your unfailing love.

Footnote:

The psalmist's words suggest that he did not believe God had left him.  God was still the Ruler, but he seemed to be asleep, and the psalmist wondered why.  In the New Testament, the disciples wondered why Jesus was asleep when they needed his help during a storm.  In both cases, of course, God was ready to help, but he wished first to build faith in his followers.  

I'm playing catch up after being out of town for a couple of days.  How are all of you doing?  Is anyone behind on their Bible reading?  Either make the time to get caught up or just jump back into the reading right where we are.  Don't let a reading schedule keep you from being in God's Word!


Keep reading -- 250 days left!


All footnotes taken from the Life Application Study Bible, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment