Thursday, June 12, 2014

Day 347 - The New Covenant is Greater than the Old

Reading:  Hebrews 8-10

This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.  Hebrews 8:10

Footnote:  If our hearts are not changed, following God's rules will be unpleasant and difficult.  We will rebel against being told how to live.  The Holy Spirit, however, gives us new desires, helping us want to obey God.  With new hearts, we find that serving God is our greatest joy.

Under God's new covenant, God's law is inside us.  It is no longer an external set of rules and principles.  The Holy Spirit reminds us of Christ's words, activates our consciences, influences our motives and desires, and makes us want to obey.  Now doing God's will is something we desire with all our heart and mind.

Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
Then I said, "Here I am -- it is written about me in the scroll -- 
I have come to do your will, O God." Hebrews 10:5-10

Footnote:  This quotation is not cited in any other New Testament book.  However, it is a central teaching of the Old Testament that God desires obedience and a right heart, not empty compliance to the sacrifice system.  The writer of Hebrews applies to Christ the words of the psalmist in Psalm 40:6-8.  Christ came to offer his body on the cross for us as a sacrifice that is completely acceptable to God.  God's new and living way for us to please him is not by keeping laws or even by abstaining from sin.  It is by coming to him in faith to be forgiven, and then following him in loving obedience.


Keep reading -- 18 days left!

All footnotes taken from the Life Application Study Bible, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment