Sunday, April 29, 2012

BC - Day 332

Reading: 2 Corinthians 10-13


We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.  2 Corinthians 10:5


Footnote:  Paul uses military terminology to describe this warfare against sin and Satan.  God must be the commander in chief -- even our thoughts must be submitted to his control as we live for him.


I heard a teaching years ago on this verse that has been life-changing.  It's very powerful to use scripture in spiritual warfare.  Next time you have a thought that doesn't line up with scripture -- a thought that's negative, sinful, angry, discontented, etc. -- try using this verse and take EVERY thought captive to the obedience of Christ!  


This next passage of scripture is about Paul.  It's only a portion of his trials and sufferings.  Read it slowly.....let the depth of Paul's ministry really sink in.


Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one.  


Three times I was beaten with rods, 


once I was stoned, 


three times I was shipwrecked, 


I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 


I have been constantly on the move.  


I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; 


in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers.  


I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; 


I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; 


I have been cold and naked.  


Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.   


2 Corinthians 11: 24-28


Footnote:  Paul was sacrificing his life for the gospel, something the false teachers would never do.  The trials and hurts we experience for Christ's sake build our character, demonstrate our faith, and prepare us for further service to the Lord.


JUST KEEP READING..........

All footnotes in italics taken from Life Application Study Bible, New International Version.

No comments:

Post a Comment