Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 141 - Lift Up My Eyes

Daily Reading:  Psalm 120-123

I lift up my eyes to the hills - 
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2

Footnote:

This song expresses assurance and hope in God's protection day and night.  He not only made the hills but heaven and earth as well.  We should never trust a lesser power than God himself.  But not only is he all-powerful, he also watches over us.  Nothing diverts or deters him.  We are safe.  We never outgrow our need for God's untiring watch over our lives.


I rejoiced with those who said to me,
"Let us go to the house of the Lord,"
Our feet are standing
in your gates, O Jerusalem.
Psalm 122:1-2

Footnote:

Going to God's house can be a chore or a delight.  For the psalmist, it was a delight.  As a pilgrim attending one of the three great religious festivals, he rejoiced to worship with God's people in God's house.  We may find worship a chore if we have unconfessed sin or if our love for God has cooled.  But if we are close to God and enjoy his presence, we will be eager to worship and praise him.  Our attitude toward God will determine our view of worship.

Keep reading -- 224 days left!

All footnotes taken from the Life Application Study Bible, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment