Sunday, November 24, 2013

Day 147 - Search Me, O God

Daily Reading:  Psalm 139-141

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24

Footnote:

David asked God to search for sin and point it out, even to the level of testing his thoughts.  This is exploratory surgery for sin.  How are we to recognize sin unless God points it out?  Then, when God shows us, we can repent and be forgiven.  Make this verse your prayer.  If you ask the Lord to search your heart and your thoughts and to reveal your sin, you will be continuing on God's "way everlasting."

Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord;
keep watch over the door of my lips.
Psalm 141:3

Footnote:

James wrote that "the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts" (James 3:5).  On the average, a person opens his or her mouth approximately 700 times a day to speak.  David wisely asked God to help keep him from speaking evil -- sometimes even as he underwent persecution.  Jesus himself was silent before his accusers (Matthew 26:63).  Knowing the power of the tongue, we would do well to ask God to guard what we say so that our words will bring honor to his name.

Two great verses from our reading!  Psalm 139 is great!


Find a quiet place.  
Listen at this link http://www.biblegateway.com/audio/dramatized/niv/Ps.139
Make this your prayer to God.



Keep reading -- 218 days left!

All footnotes taken from the Life Application Study Bible, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment