Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 106 - My Shield

Daily Reading:  Psalm 16-18

Psalm 18

I love you, O Lord, my strength.

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer,
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my
stronghold.
I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
and I am saved from my enemies.

Footnote:

God's protection of his people is limitless and can take many forms.  David characterized God's care with five military symbols.  God is like: 

1.  a rock that can't be moved by any who would harm us, 
2.  a fortress or place of safety where the enemy can't follow, 
3.  a shield that comes between us and harm,
4.  a horn of salvation, a symbol of might and power, 
5.  a stronghold high above our enemies.  

If you need protection, look to God.

Verse 16:  

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; 
he drew me out of deep waters.

Footnote:

Do your troubles, like "deep waters" threaten to drown you?  David, helpless and weak, knew that God alone had rescued him from his enemies when he was defenseless.  

When you wish that God would quickly rescue you from your troubles, remember that he can either deliver you or be your support as you go through them.  Either way, his protection is best for you.  

When you feel like you're drowning in troubles, ask God to help you, hold you steady, and protect you.  In his care, you are never helpless.

Keep reading -- 259 days left!

All footnotes taken from the Life Application Study Bible, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment