Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 259 - Sabbath

Daily Reading:  Ezekiel 19-21


Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy.  Yet the people of Israel rebelled against me in the desert.  They did not follow my decrees but rejected my laws -- although the man who obeys them will live by them -- and they utterly desecrated my Sabbaths.  So I said I would pour out my wrath on them and destroy them in the desert.  20: 12,13

Footnote:  The Sabbath, instituted by God at creation, was entrusted to Israel as a sign that God had created and redeemed them.  This day of rest was a gift from a loving God, not a difficult obligation.  But the people repeatedly desecrated the Sabbath and ignored their God.  It was meant to be a memory device but they ignored it.  Today, many Christians celebrate the Lord's Day, Sunday, as their Sabbath.  Whatever the day, we must be careful to fulfill God's purpose for the Sabbath.  He wants us to rest, to refocus, and to remember him.

 Keep reading -- 107 days left!

All footnotes taken from the Life Application Study Bible, NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment