Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day 262 - Pride Revealed

Daily Reading:  Ezekiel 28-30


Egypt will become a desolate wasteland.  Then they will know that I am the Lord.  Because you said, "The Nile is mine; I made it," Therefore I am against you and against your streams, and I will make the land of Egypt a ruin and a desolate waste from Migdol to Aswan, as far as the border of Cush.  29:9,10

Footnote:  The Nile was Egypt's pride and joy, a life-giving river cutting through the middle of the desert.  Rather than thanking God; however, Egypt declared, "The Nile is mine; I made it."  We do the same when we say:

"This house is mine; I built it."
or
"I have brought myself to the place where I am today."
Or
"I have built this church, business, or reputation, from the ground up." 

These statements reveal our pride.  Sometimes we take for granted what God has given us, thinking we have made it ourselves.  Of course, we have put forth a lot of hard effort, but God supplied the resources, gave us the abilities, and provided us with the opportunities to make it happen.  Instead of claiming our own greatness, as the Egyptians did, we should proclaim God's greatness and give him the credit.  (Migdol is in the north of Egypt, and Aswan in the south.  Thus, this meant all of Egypt.)

Keep reading -- 104 days left!

All footnotes taken from the Life Application Study Bible, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment