Monday, July 2, 2012

On your mark, get set, go!

Let's get this challenge going shall we?  A few points about this verse that I love and some questions to think about.  First,  God is speaking to Joshua right after the death of Moses and is encouraging him right before he was to lead the people of Israel across the Jordon river and take possession of the promised land.  Sandwiched between the verse we are learning God tells Joshua to be strong and courageous 3 times! 

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."   Joshua 1:9.

How awesome is that?  What a blessing that is!

Here are a few questions to ponder and I would love some input. What does meditate mean?  If you do meditate, would you share some of the ways that work for you?  What does prosperous and successful mean?  You could contrast what the world believes that is versus what God thinks that is.

4 comments:

  1. The verse we're learning this week says to "meditate on it (the Word of God) day and night." The thought comes to me that if we were doing that, constantly filling our mind with truth, there wouldn't be much time and space left for worry, depression, anxious thoughts, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love listening to Christian music because it is often based on scripture and God's promises. When you see me on the lawn mower with my IPod, I am actually "meditating" on the word of God. :) Did you learn the words of a song the first time you heard it? - I don't think so. In the same way we need to read or listen over and over to God's word to learn it and keep it in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! Do you have the scripture on your ipod? I have been thinking that would be nice to have the children (and myself) listen to at bedtime.

      Delete
  3. I found this week's weeks verse in iTunes by Matt Papa. It's called Joshua 1:9 and contains several verses. It's a little dorky but music uses the side of your brain that's for long term memory.

    ReplyDelete