Sunday, July 1, 2012

Translations


When I looked up our verse this week in my Bible it was actually different than the translation I posted.  I pulled this week's scripture from this site www.biblegateway.com and chose the NIV version.  I didn't realize it was choosing the new NIV version that has changed some of the wording, most of which I don't care for.  


All of this caused me to look at various translations and I've copied a few here for you to look at.  Which one do you like and why?



Joshua 1:8

New King James Version (NKJV)
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.


Joshua 1:8

New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.



Joshua 1:8

English Standard Version (ESV)
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

2 comments:

  1. ESV is my preference. It stays very close to the KJV, which is said to be the most authentic, but flows in a way that we are more familiar with gramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua 1:8
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    8 This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may [a]be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will [b]have success.

    I decided to post the New American Standard because this version is believed to be the most accurate. However, because I have had a NIV for all of my adulthood I usually remember these verses better simply because they are more familiar.

    Familiarity is one reason people choose the KJV. I do not use this version typically. It is a translation of a translation and therefore, more inaccurate. But for many older people they grew up learning verses with this version and are simply more comfortable with it. I find that when I come across verses that sound different in other versions it is uncomfortable.

    I think it's really cool to be able to go to the computer or iphone app and with a few simple clicks be able to read multiple versions of the same text. This can broaden our understanding of the Word.

    ReplyDelete